Aims and Ethos
Lighthouse ISP strives to produce a broad, high caliber education for all its pupils, of whom it has high expectations. It aims to ensure a happy, secure and energetic community in which every individual (child and adult) can thrive, and to promote an exciting and stimulating academic environment which will foster a life-long love of learning for every pupil. Children at ISP should never be bored! The school prepares its’ students for their wider life ahead, in terms of their moral and spiritual education and their acquisition of individual passions both inside and outside the academic classroom.
In school and out of school, we want our pupils to develop confidence in themselves as well as a sense of corporate responsibility, so that every child has the self-belief to do well for himself but also to contribute fully at school and in his life ahead to those around him and to wider society. We encourage our pupils to show an awareness of others at the same time as self-discipline for themselves and to show empathy and enjoyment of the diverse cultures and traditions that are represented at PIKS and in the surrounding community and island of which the school is part.
In our pastoral care, we aim to:
- Create an environment in which every child can be happy and achieve according to his abilities, and a safe, secure school in which he is valued and listened to ensure a well but unobtrusively disciplined school, in which every member will respect and celebrate the efforts and abilities of others.
- Provide a clear moral framework for all members of the school community, based on genuine respect for and understanding of people of all faiths and backgrounds.
- Create a sense of partnership between teachers and parents through clear information and discussion in order to promote the best interests of each individual child.
- Give every child the ability to make informed and balanced decisions on important moral, social, cultural, political and environmental issues, and those related to their own and others’ health and well-being.
- Encourage each child to discover his own aspirations, and to develop his own ambitions and his personal targets in a sustained, determined manner.
- Share information with other relevant agencies in the best interests of the child when there are concerns of a child welfare nature.
In our classrooms, we aspire to:
- Foster a vibrant learning community (for adults as well as pupils) in which every member is continually stimulated and challenged not be over-bound by exam requirements, but to encourage learning and knowledge for their own sake.
- Be open-minded and enthusiastic in our teaching, and encourage our pupils to question as they form and articulate their own ideas build on the children’ intellectual curiosity and stimulate an enjoyment of learning, analysis and scholarship.
- Have high expectations of our pupils, and applaud their efforts and progress.
- Foster good working habits and an understanding of the importance of application.
- Encourage a sense of working together, for example through pair and group work.
In our extra-curricular activities, our objectives are to:
- Provide a breadth of activity (in fields such as music, sport, drama, pottery, design, ICT and other after-school activities) and a breadth of choice, so that every child can discover and develop their own intellectual, cultural and sporting passions.
- Offer opportunities for leadership and responsibility in numerous fields, especially for our older pupils.
- Build confidence and self-respect through trying new activities and exploring hidden and unknown talents.
- Encourage every child to shine in as many areas as possible.
Phuket’s newest international school.
Globally trusted standards.
Small class sizes.